Saturday, February 6, 2010

The best of 2009 - March - Morrissey


OMFG!!! The king of Indie British Pop Rock! The Voice! His non-conventional lyrics, the somewhat mean, sweet and sad guitar sounds so known and loved by all of us filled the space and possessed the 2,500 fans that screamed and jumped all along the concert. My youth years idol was standing there! I could not believe I was listening to him and his band live.


After 14 years being his follower and fan I finally got to go to one of his gigs and it was magical! The performance occurred in Webster Hall (We already told you about this historical nightclub) and it was so crowded it was ready to burst out.

It was very hot inside even though it was Winter. I got in a little late and a have to stand behind a couple of gigantic men (well, maybe I am just so small, hehehe) and, as usual, I could not see very well, only Morrissey's hair and the stage lights and decoration. I was so mad! but then something wonderful happened! The girl that came with the tall guys fainted and they carried her out! Wheeee! The space was suddenly free of tall people and I could see everything! yeeeeeaaahh!





The show was a serious one, just like him, although he loves to joke. In one occasion he said "I hope you were charged $20 for this concert because my dressing room was composed by a tacky chair and a table, this place is a rat hole...", hahaha.

The concert was everything I ever dreamed of Morrissey, he is older, a little fat, but his voice is just the same. His behavior might not be so explosive as it was when he was younger, but you can tell: once rebellious, always a rebel. He changed his shirt several times, because he sweats profusely during his shows. In one occasion he took off his shirt on stage, WOW!!! We were screaming our lungs out!


Without any doubt, Morrissey's stage presence is something you cannot ignore or disrespect. He is the British Indie Pop genius of all times. Certainly, every Morrissey fan should experience one of his concerts and I am thankful because I already did!


1 comment: