Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The best of 2009 - February = Matthew Herbert

The best of 2009 - Matthew Herbert


I had just moved to NY and this was the first of many wonderful gigs I had the chance to attend last year. For me, 2009's calendar started with Matthew Herbert also known as Herbert (and also as Doctor Rockit, Radio Boy, Mr. Vertigo, Transformer, and Wishmountain), the mastermind whose Avant-Garde electronic work,influenced by the techniques of Musique Concrete, helped pioneer the Micro House genre.

The gig began filled with the micro sounds that have been identifying him for years. His avant-garde velvet jazzy house, the shimmering of the sweet voices and the deconstruction of the big band melodies were mind-blowing! It was an spiral crescendo of beautifully intricate minimal swing sounds that became the deepest techno I ever heard, so deep I felt my clothes flying away from my body with every beat, yeah!


So, when this amazing performer ( also a known political activist) asked me (yes, we spoke!!) in that cold February night, why the place was almost empty, I answered that his performance was like a very delicate and elegant dish that only the most trained and sensitive palates were able to taste and enjoy...at this, he laughed a lot and said I was right, then he finished the night with his remix of Louie Austen's "Hoping", I just love this song!



For me, this British producer is the best ever! I hope to see him again and enjoy his wonderfully intricate mind mechanics.




No comments:

Post a Comment